Support for children




A family member is alcohol dependent and his spouse – who takes care of their young children and home – is now receiving medical treatment for a serious illness. Are there any support services that would help with childcare?

  • coald

    I am sorry to hear this, it sounds really difficult.

    I am not an expert at all, and depends on your location / age of children, but a few thoughts spring to mind - Homestart -

    If the children are school age I would suggest speaking to the school to see what support they can offer too - breakfast and after school clubs, plus they may be able to signpost you to local charities and support services. They usually have a bursary system to cover these costs.

    Take care.

  • mountainchaser

    Hi 233,

    I am so sorry you are faced with a difficult situation and your family members are struggling.

    When my relative was diagnosed with terminal illness, her consultant & clinical team suggested avenues they can explore to get financial support and support with their children.

    I would suggest her treatment team/GP as a starting point as on a lot of cases the support that can be offered depends on diagnosis or illness, therefore medical staff could be a great starting point. They will certainly point your family member in the right direction.

    Wish you and your family all the best

  • listener


    I want to reiterate what a lot of the other replies have said, medical staff such as the families GP would most likely know what direction to be pointed in. As also mentioned depending on the age schools could be useful. In terms of assisted childcare I would imagine these would be the best avenues.

    If you would like information regarding other related services such as phonelines specalised in working with children then there are services such as Alateen available (020 795 32070 - for children aged between 12-17) or CAMHS for children under 12 (020 3317 5999).

    I hope you and all of the family best of luck.

Leave a Reply

Recent topics

  • Letting go
    I've returned from what I believe I'd the last visit to my mother I'll ever make. I had to drop everything and find to Ireland…
  • Dysfunctional siblings
    Hi everyone, I guess I'm just wondering if anyone can relate or have a similar issue with their siblings... We have all experienced trauma as…
  • Forms of Support
    What forms of support people have found helpful. Which groups offer, for example, group meetings and which only offer individual support. Support that is based…
  • Bereaved
    My mum was an alcoholic for as long as I can remember. I have been through years of heartache, anger and resentment. Despite losing everything-friends,…
  • Cry for help
    My mum has drank for as long as I can remember but I’d say the last 6/7 years it has got worse and she starts…

Recent replies

  • Sorry to hear this. I can understand what you must be going through, I have gone through something similar. It’s a very funny feeling inside,…
    abzi2021 on I feel like I cannot talk to my friends about my Dad’s alcoholism
  • Hi bbaggins, I’m sorry you are going through this. I don’t know if I can offer any advice, but I wanted to offer some solidarity…
    buntyh on Dysfunctional siblings
  • Hi Zeebee Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry to hear you are in the same position. It's very difficult and not a lot of…
    yellowdog on My experience – Alcoholic mum
  • Hello, Thank you for posting your story. I am so sorry to read about your experience with your mother, this sounds like it has been…
    listener on Letting go
  • Thank you so much I really appreciate it. I'm sending love and hope you are safe and happy right now xx
    zeebee on Letting go

Keep in touch

To find out more about our events and activities, subscribe to our mailing list

We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By subscribing, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp’s privacy practices.